I covered it briefly in my review of 2017 movies, but I do keep getting asked what movies I’m looking forward to in 2018. Partly so I don’t forget what’s coming up, I’ve expanded on the topic a little.
Didn’t That Come Out Last Year?
Not in the UK, sadly, otherwise I’d have seen them already. That’s the problem with Awards season, some of the best films end up straddling the New Year.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – Martin McDonagh
- The Shape of Water – Guillermo Del Toro
- Lady Bird – Greta Gerwig.
The Main List
- Untitled Chris Morris Project – Starring Anna Kendrick
- Phantom Threads – Paul Thomas Anderson directing Daniel Day Lewis cutting cloth and losing his heart? I’m there.
- Red Sparrow – It’s been described as Jennifer Lawrence‘s Salt, but I’m sure we can aspire to something a little better than that.
- Ready Player One – Steven Speilberg‘s back!
Almost, But Not Quite, A Sequel
I mean, technically, sure, but not really.
- Untitled Cloverfield Sequel – Another ‘set in the world’ film, as opposed to a direct sequel
- Sicario 2 – Soldado – No Emily Blunt, and sadly Denis Villeneuve isn’t directing
- Mary Poppins Returns – Sicario‘s loss is Disney’s gain.
Franchise Town is a bit like the Hotel California, but if you’re trapped there you may as well have a good time.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – I’ll never apologise for Star Wars
- Incredibles 2 – I can’t imagine this not being great
- Black Panther – The most non-Marvel MCU movie since Guardians of the Galaxy.
Let’s say I’m intrigued, but I’ll wait for reviews…
- Annihilation – Alex Garland
- Mortal Engines – Probably sheer morbid curiosity, the trailer looks… special. Is this Two Towers Peter Jackson, or Hobbit Peter Jackson?
- Mute – You had my interest at ‘Blade Runner-neon Berlin’, but I was locked in when I saw it was directed by Duncan Jones.